Monday, May 6, 2013

A Semester of Growth

This semester I expanded my writing skills in numerous ways.  I think the most important skill I learned was how to correctly write in MLA format.  I slowly picked up on different aspects of the format through reading They Say, I Say and the multiple drafts of different papers I got back from Dr. Boyle.  In a way MLA formatting is like a foreign language, and this semester I mastered it.

I think the most effective way to improve my writing is, as I have had the chance to do many times in this class, to allow for several days to write and write multiple drafts of a paper.  Having a period of time over several days to write allows me to write, leave and reflect on the paper, then write some more without hitting the dreaded writer's block.  Writing multiple drafts allows me to catch mistakes and awkward sentences and rewrite when an idea doesn't fully compute with the audience.

My career plans have not really changed after studying work for one semester.  If anything they were strengthened after reading about so many people burnt out in jobs they were not helping others in.  I want to work in the nonprofit sector, and possibly be a social worker within that sector.  I would be helping others daily and I believe this would allow me to achieve a sense of pursuing a calling.  Which I've come to realize through this class and reading the Dalai Lama is something one should strive for.

No comments:

Post a Comment